During the 1980's Gerry Mulligan (retired) and I (Derek Munro) produced two technical bulletins and a publication on poisonous plants in Canada. In 1990 I started work on a database version of the poisonous plants using DBase software. This was published as a *runtime* version for DOS computers. With the introduction of the World Wide Web I converted the DBase version into an Internet product using UNIX shell scripts and delimited text files (thereby simulating a relational database system). The latest incarnation has been ported into Oracle SQL database enabling extra query possibilities, enhanced performance, and XML (eXtensible Markup Language) output for application developers.
- Mulligan, G.A & Munro, D.B. 1983. Vascular plants poisonous to livestock in Canada 1. A preliminary inventory. Contribution 1983-23E. Research Branch, Agriculture & Agri-Food Canada. 33 pp.
- Mulligan, G.A. & Munro, D.B. 1984. Wild and cultivated plants poisonous to humans in Canada. A preliminary inventory. Technical Bulletin 1984-15E. Research Branch, Agriculture & Agri-Food Canada. 22 pp.
- Mulligan, G.A. & Munro, D.B. 1990. Poisonous plants of Canada. Publication 1842/E. Ministry of Supply and Services Canada. 96 pp.
- Munro, D.B. 1993. Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System. Information Systems No. 1993-1B Agriculture & Agri-Food Canada (Manual 15 pp + 3 DOS diskettes)
- Munro, D.B. 1996. Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System Internet version 1. (no longer available at http://res.agr.ca/brd/poisonpl/)
- Munro, D.B. 2000. Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System Internet version 2. (/poison/)
- Date modified: